Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Essence.com

The sultry singer and her NBA hubby welcome a new baby girl, disclose their secrets to marital bliss and how the songstress is living with MS
By Nazenet Habtezghi


Our favorite couple-next-door, Tamia and Grant Hill, recently celebrated the birth of Lael Rose Hill, their second child, on August 9 in Orlando, Florida. The newborn, who weighed in at 8 pounds and 6 ounces, joins big sis Myla Grace, 5.

August is a month of change for the famous family. As if a new addition to the family isn’t enough, the Hills are gearing up for another life-change. This month, the foursome will make Arizona their new home as the former Orlando Magic star joins his new team, the Phoenix Suns.

Although life is idyllic these days for the family, it hasn’t been all love and basketball.

Four years ago, the songstress was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a degenerative disease which weakens the central nervous system and causes extreme fatigue while her husband, a 13-year NBA veteran and former Detroit Piston suffered repeated injuries to his ankles during his six-years with Orlando Magic.

After the birth of Lael Rose, Tamia, 32, told People, that she feels “fine” and has been a vocal advocate for MS, speaking publicly about leading a productive life with the disease. In a May 2007 interview with ESSENCE she said, “Life is about learning to dance in the rain,” and the petite vocal powerhouse has continued that groove by releasing her fourth album, Between Friends, independently in 2006.

Throughout their physical challenges, the couple have not only been supportive of each another but remain optimistically in love.

The 34-year-old baller explained his unconditional love for his wife in the ESSENCE 2003 Black Love issue: “As we go through the years, the things about her that attract me change. Right now, what’s really attractive is that she’s such a good mother and such a great support to me during this mini storm in my career: I’ve had four ankle surgeries in three years. Many young men are scared of commitment, but there’s nothing better than having that other person who completes you. Tamia helped me make that transition from boy to man.”

And the missus has expressed her unconditional love for her hubby. “Knowing I have Grant in my corner has brought out a boldness in me. He’ll tell me when I’m wrong and need to check myself, but he’ll also tell me when I’m right and need to keep fighting for something. And he tells me I’m “the bomb” when I need to hear it.”

Like any relationship Tamia and Grant have experienced highs and lows but only focus on the positive while relying on each other along the way. “You play the hand you’re dealt,” says Tamia. “They say without a test, you won’t have a testimony, so you have to go through it. We just have each other to lean on.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments