Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ne-Yo: Still Standing


Photo Credit: Ellen VonUnwerth


Essence.com: Happy New Year! What are you up to?

Ne-Yo: I’m in Washington, D.C., rehearsing for a performance for a Michael Jackson tribute. I’ll be singing “Lady of My Life.”

Essence.com: You’re always working! And I hear you never complain. Is that true?

N.Y.: Complain for what? I am blessed to be doing what I do. So if I have to be at a photo shoot, do an interview, or make a TV appearance I am not going to sit around whining and complaining about how I don’t want to get up early or I don’t feel like talking. It’s part of the job. I don’t understand when artists are complaining about doing their job. It’s like, Are you serious? All you have to do is get on the phone and have a conversation, or show up and have your photo taken. I’m never going to complain about doing my job. I love what I do!

Essence.com: That’s a great attitude and work ethic. When we last spoke you expressed your hope that your sophomore album, Because of You, would allow your fans to get to know you better. Do you think you succeeded?

N.Y.: To a certain degree, but maybe not as much as I wanted to. I would even say this album was a bit schizophrenic because I did so many different kinds of songs. That doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy the whole process—I just think I could have taken a little more time before I sprung all that I did on them.

Essence.com: So you’re saying your extreme diversity with various genres might have been premature?

N.Y.: Yeah, it might have been a little bit premature. I mean, the album went platinum, but just as far as my fans getting to know me better, I don’t think I accomplished that.

Essence.com: So did you draw that conclusion on your own, or based on the feedback from friends, family and fans?

N.Y.: A little bit of both and then my own feelings after I listened to it again. My friends and family told me that they liked the album, but it didn’t put them to the point where I was hoping to be. I want to connect with my fans the way Mary J. Blige’s fans connect with her. I hope to do that with my third album, which I plan to release toward the middle of this year. I’m going to take my time to figure out what it is I want the world to know about me.

Essence.com: Well as long as you don’t stay away too long. In this industry out of sight often means out of mind, but I don’t think that will ever be the case for you.

N.Y.: A lot of times when artists are rushing to put out projects it’s on some financial tip because they want to make money. But for me I’m not in any rush.

Essence.com: Of course not because you write for everyone so your cash is always steady!

N.Y.: (Laughs) Right, well, there you go, but as an artist my main goal is longevity. I’m not trying to be some fly-by-night dude, I want to be around for years to come.

Essence.com: Not with everyone requesting a Ne-Yo hit you won’t. What’s next for you in film and music?

N.Y.: I’m looking at other films, but the [writer’s] strike hit real hard so whatever might have been on the table was thrown back on the back burner. I’m definitely still looking for my next film. As far as artists, I’m working with Michael Jackson, Jennifer Hudson, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson and then my company, Compound Entertainment, is putting out three new artists that I’ll be introducing—including two female R&B artists, Jovie and Chanells and then one male, D-Brown.

Essence.com: You’re a busy man. Let’s switch gears to address some of the rumors, like your beef with R. Kelly. I understand you are suing him?

N.Y.: As of right now, things are pending legally so I’m not at liberty to talk about the case. You know, I never have a problem talking about anything, but I’ve been advised not to discuss the case.

Essence.com: That’s understandable. Well, can you explain how your dismissal from the tour came about?

N.Y.: Well, it wasn’t even told to me directly by [R. Kelly]; he sent his people to tell me.

Essence.com: So do you think your affiliation with Jay-Z and Def Jam had anything to do with it, considering that they once toured together and didn’t complete the tour together?

N.Y.: I don’t think so, because if that were the case I wouldn’t have been on the tour to begin with. It’s no secret that I’m a Def Jam artist so I don’t think that had anything to do with it.

Essence.com: It’s been reported that you were asked to leave the tour because you upstaged him. Is that simply speculation?

N.Y.: Well, I’m the one who made that statement. I only did two shows in Columbus and Georgia. It was only the next day after the first two reviews came out and they gave me great reviews and his were not so positive.

Essence.com: Wow—so did you ever speak to R. Kelly about your dismissal?

N.Y.: Nope. That was another thing—as a man he showed me blatant disrespect. He never tried to come and speak to me, but he wouldn’t even have to come to me, I would have been willing to talk to him about it, but that never happened.

Essence.com: Had you met him prior to this tour?

N.Y.: No, I was on tour and I didn’t get to speak to that man. I didn’t see his face. He didn’t make an attempt to speak to me; it was as if it didn’t matter that I was there.

Essence.com: Well, what about during rehearsals?

N.Y.: Never.

For more on this article read more from Ne-Yo on R.Kelly, baby mama drama and the gay rumors at essence.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments